Edit Your Movie

Whether or not we are aware of it, we have a constant internal narration of our lives all day, every day. Many of our narrators are quite harsh and insulting to us. 

I am always working on changing my inner dialogue. This is definitely something I have always struggled with. In many areas of my life I am much improved, such as exercise. Where I used to say things like "I'm not a runner" "I'm clumsy" etc. I now say "I'm an athlete" "I'm capable of anything". 

However, there are other areas where I am in much need of improvement. So that is what I have worked on over the years and I've definitely seen a change in how I think! Even if I don't believe what I'm saying at the time, it still works if I'm consistent about it. For instance, I have a bad habit of "what if"-ing the heck out of a situation until I'm a wreck and convinced something horrible is about to happen. Even when I was a kid, I was a worry wart and always feared someone I love was about to die or just that something bad in general was going to happen.  So it's easy, even with me consciously changing my inner dialogue in the past, for it to creep back in when I'm not paying attention. When I catch myself in a negative thought loop I say things in my mind like "All is well. Everything is exactly how it should be and good things are going to happen." And it calms me. Even though I might not believe it in the moment, it STILL calms me. And, after a while of consciously doing this, I find my mindset shifting and the world, quite honestly, looking different. A little brighter actually.

Changing our inner dialogue can change the world around us, as we see it. I wanted to share a past blog post of mine called Shut Up Liar! that talks about silencing the negative inner voice and replacing it with a positive one of self-love.

Pay attention to that inner voice and correct it with something positive every time you feel a negative, self-defeating thought creep in. Do it even if you feel stupid. If you're alone, do it out loud! Our brains are simply organic computers that be can reprogrammed with a different, more positive, software program.

Take it a step further and post notes to yourself everywhere! "You're beautiful!" "You're worthy" "You're healthy" "You're amazing". It doesn't matter if you believe it. It doesn't even matter if it's true!!! Fake it til you make it!



Comments