Monday Morning Motivation: I'm Already Her

I remember this moment when I was still over 200 pounds and had tried running a couple times. I was absolutely horrible at it. I felt so heavy and every step was hard and sloppy. I would often run for literally 5-10 seconds at a time before having to walk slowly and catch my breath. However, this was at a time, in my early 30s, where something in me had shifted and I felt this overwhelming need to change so I was determined to keep at it and become better.

Having always been a bit of a daydreamer, during these frustrating walk/run sessions I would envision myself as an athlete. Light on my feet. Running forever without getting tired. This vision would fuel me. Over time, it would become an automatic vision in my head as soon as I would take off running, and it became more vivid in my mind's eye the longer it bounced around in my head.

One day I would forget that daydream as I bounded down a wooded trail, light on my feet, leaping over fallen trees without stopping.

When I go back even further, I remember falling asleep more nights than not in my 20s, envisioning myself thin. What would it look like? How would it feel?

Years later, I would learn the power of visualization and how it can actually begin to reprogram our brains. Envisioning doing a task, for instance, stimulates the same regions of the brain that are stimulated from actually performing the task! We can almost literally "trick" our brains into believing  we are doing something.

Jon Gabriel talks about this at length in his book The Gabriel Method. Gabriel used his education in science to help him lose weight down from over 400 pounds. One of the various methods he developed was extensive visualization. Wayne Dyer also discussed this same power of the mind in some of his writings such as You'll See it When you Believe It. 

What do you want to become? What would need to change for you to be able to live the life you deserve?

You already have an idea in your mind of what that would look like. Take time to give that vision wings and create a very clear picture in your mind. Walk around with that picture, just as vivid as you can make it today and you will begin to plant that seed of change.

Happy Monday,
Tammi



P.S. Do you want to have these Monday Morning Motivations delivered right to your inbox every week for free? Just click here to subscribe!

Comments