Monday Morning Motivation: Brainwash Yourself

I think one of my big keys to weight loss was the fact that I am kind of an obsessive person. When I become interested in something, I immerse myself. I don't just stick a toe in and dabble with it, I dunk my whole head in and then let my entire body plop in behind it. 
So, when I truly became fixated on losing weight, it became my culture! I read books, listened to audios, watched videos, made a vision board, envisioned my future self as I fell asleep each night, listened to guided meditations about it...you get the idea. I. BECAME. OBSESSED.
From a psychological standpoint, this does a couple of things. First, what our conscious minds focus on tells our subconscious mind what's important. Therefore, we are less likely to seek out behaviors that don't align with what we are focused on, and more likely to seek out ones that do!
Secondly, and this is perhaps the most important reason, we begin to "brainwash" ourselves. Now, I know that the term "brainwash" tends to be used a negative light. However, I encourage you to broaden your idea of what this can mean for you!
The more you learn about nutrition, the more you expose yourself to a healthy culture, the more you are rewiring your brain to think like a healthy person. It's easy to mindlessly eat sugar after a hard day....it becomes progressively harder when you understand the exact scientific process that takes place as soon as that sugar passes through your lips. It's easy to skip a workout when you "just don't feel like it"....it's way harder when you've seen all your new fitness friends posting on social media about their own workouts today and knowing that you have your gym bag sitting in your car ready to go straight from work.
You get the idea. 
Okay, so here's your chance to brainwash yourself. And I have an excellent place to start. 
I am a huge fan of audiobooks. While this may not be your cup of tea if you prefer a hard copy in your hands, I encourage you to still consider them if you drive a lot. However, all of these suggestions on my Audiobook Recommendation Page can also be found in hard copy if you're very opposed. 
More than the form you to use to expose yourself to as much of this information as you can, the point is that you actually do it and that you make sure you are exposing yourself to responsible, factual information. 

Comments