BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK!!

Bringing Your Body Into Balance

My 100+ pound weight loss is what grabs people's attention. However, my weight loss was merely a side effect of finally taking my health and happiness into my own hands and finding that perfect balance. Body, mind, spirit. It all matters.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 3 of 28 Day Challenge: Get Uncomfortable

"Do one thing every day that scares you."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

I wrote a blog post a while back called "I Don't Accept Myself the Way I Am" that I encourage you to read when you have the time. Basically, I discussed how, during my weight loss journey, I realized that I kept stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things, taking risks, and exposing myself to potential failure. At the time it was not a conscious effort, I think I was just fed up with the status quo and felt I had nothing left to lose. I was searching for something and I didn't know what it was. However, that "something" I found was not on my couch or in my refrigerator, nor did it show up in one of my many t.v. shows I followed. That "something" was right outside of my comfort zone.

Now I make myself uncomfortable on purpose because I have come to learn that this is where the growth occurs. And when we grow, the big things look smaller and the impossible things suddenly look possible.

One of my favorite ways to make myself uncomfortable is to go on a very challenging hike. The reason I like it is because, once you get out there, you absolutely have no choice but to hike back. Well, I guess you always have a choice but the alternative is to lay down in the woods and starve to death. When I get back from a long, seemingly impossible hike, I sit down in the car (usually with a cut or scratch somewhere on my body....cause that's just how I roll) and let the feeling of accomplishment wash over me. I leave the foot of the mountain just a little different, a little stronger and more confident, than when I arrived. It's a subtle shift that I'm sure no one can see but me. Likewise, a hard workout does the same thing for me. Maybe not on such a grand scale but each and every workout in which I push myself past that point where I want to stop and get a burger and make myself really uncomfortable, I become just a little better, and I don't mean just physically.

So your challenge for today is to make yourself uncomfortable. But I challenge you to do this every day. Whether it's making yourself physically uncomfortable by taking the 5 flights of stairs to your office, whereas you usually take the elevator or striking up a conversation with someone in a check out line. It doesn't matter what you choose, the only rule is that it has to make you uncomfortable.

Tammi

Haven't joined our group yet? It's not too late. Sign up here.
And don't forget to "like" my page on Facebook where I post motivational material on a consistent basis to keep you focused on what's important!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK!!